The Palace of the European Commission of the Danube (ECD) is one of the most representative buildings within the Delta's territory. Located at the entrance to the embankment of Sulina town, the palace was constructed in 1866 in a neoclassical style, forming the letter E, symbolizing Europe. It was built upon a foundation of oak wood and "pitch pine," a highly resilient tree imported from India. The challenging terrain made the construction work arduous.
The building housed the offices of ECD clerks, of the Canal Company Office, of the command of the harbor, but also dwellings for Commission staff. The purpose of the Commission was to set up the mouth of the Sulina arm, to regulate the maritime Danube and the free traffic on the Danube. The arrival of the Commission resulted in impressive development for Sulina which soon became a cosmopolitan city with numerous consulates. The Commission also had a major contribution to the current configuration of Sulina arm through the work of Chief Engineer Sir Charles Hartley.
After ECD closed in 1939, the palace was transferred to the Romanian authorities and was used as a command post by the German army during the Second World War, when it was heavily bombed and partially destroyed being rebuilt after 1950.